This recipe is a traditional dish from East Java. With a nutty flavour and deep black colour from the use of Keluak nut, this beef stew style dish is rich in flavours.
Best enjoyed with rice, this is the perfect hearty meal on those cold winter days although, this is a popular breakfast dish with many Indonesian locals.
- Vegetable oil
- 600g Beef Rump
- White sugar
- 30g Tumeric
- White pepper powder
- 20g Ginger roots
- 50g Garlic
- 3g Cumin
- 100g Shallot
- 20g Ganangal
- 50g Candlenut
- 2g Bay leaf
- 20g Red Chilli
- 10g Coriander
- 5g Kaffir Lime Leafs
- 200g Black nut (Kluwek) soft and cleaned
- 30g Lemon grass
- Cut the beef rump into cubes
- Blend the shallot, garlic ginger, candlenut, turmeric, red chilli and black nuts until smooth.
- Heat a pan adding the blended ingredients and saute until cooked and aromatic.
- Add the beef cubes and water to make a stock like liquid.
- Add Kaffir lime leaves, galangal, lemon grass and boil until beef is tender.
- Season with coriander, cumin, salt and sugar to taste.
Serve with medium or long grain rice.