This is one of our favourite recipes from Indonesia... a fusion of Indonesian flavours with a spicy touch!
- 8 Shallots Coarsely chopped
- 5 Cloves of garlic coarsely chopped
- 2-3 Red Chillies coarsely chopped (add to taste)
- 4 Tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 stalks of lemongrass cut into 50mm pieces
- 8 whole kaffir lime leaves
- 6 Candlenuts (found in most Asian grocers) or Macadamia nuts
- 1 piece of fresh turmeric root peeled and ground (2 teaspoons)
- 3 1/2 Teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 1/2 cups of unsweeted coconut milk
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon basil
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3 table spoons fresh lime juice
- Sliced chicken
- Flavouring paste: Place the shallots, garlic chillies, candlenuts, turmeric and ginger into a small processor and pulse till you have a smooth paste.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or pan over medium-low heat. Add the paste and cook until the shallots and garlic smell cooked and the paste begins to separate from the oil. Saute for around 5 mins then add the lemongrass, kaffir and basil and allow to cook for a further 3 mins.
- Add the coconut milk and salt and stir to combine with the paste. Allow to simmer for 8-10 mins.
- Add the chicken pieces to the flavouring paste and cook in a steady simmer whilst stirring to prevent burning cooking the chicken for around 30-40 mins. Chicken should be tender but not overcooked.
- Remove the chicken and allow the flavouring paste to thicken further.
- Place the chicken on a high heat grill to obtain the grill marks!
- Serve with rice and side cucumber salad.